So you have a group of large group of friends coming over. You need to host them and you decide against a BBQ. Cooking a pig is a great way to entertain a group of guests at a big party. But often it can take ages and is a pretty difficult task – enter the La Caja China Pig Cooker.
The La Caja China Pig cooker actually came from Cuba in the 19th century. A guy named Robert Guerra invented it after his father told him about one that he saw in China Town in Cuba.
What is it?
Basically it is a big wooden box with a metal lining inside that is used to cook pigs. The coals go in the bottom of the box and then a lid with coals on it goes on top. This helps cook the pig evenly. You can also use it to cook other things like racks of ribs, potatoes, vegetables, whole chickens, turkeys – basically anything. pig roast nj
How to use it
To cook a pig in the La Caja China requires a bit of time and patience. But basically if you follow the process below you should have no problems
1. Lay down the whole hog on the grill for roasting. Add some spices and place the cover of the grill over the pork and secure it with S-shaped hooks.
2. Next place the drip tray below the Chinese box and place the assembly of the grill and the pork on the drip tray.
3. Now you need to put on the ashtray and put the charcoal grill above. Using the two long coal piles, each one placed on the side end of the grill, build a fire. Cover with fine white ash, spread them evenly over the whole grid (this creates oven like heat).
4. Now move the burning coal around to maintain a consistent and warm temperature inside the box. Let the pork cook for three hours without stopping.
5. After about three hours, remove the ashtray and the coals to flip over the pig.
Make sure you use some protective gloves as if course it will be hot. Turn it over so that the skin is facing up – you can also cut some slits in the skin, which will allow the skin to crisp up nicely.
6. Now you can empty the ashtray and grill, place them back on the box and add another load of coal. Let the pig cook in the La Caja bbq for about another 45 minutes or so. Make sure you check it every five minutes or so – you don’t want to burn it.